View Single Post
Old 29th April 2009, 14:07   #16
GPa

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMasters View Post
Hi Fille
Sorry to hear that you have caught the TC klackiti clack flu too.

The TC unit is fixable and as I referred to in an earlier post a few days back in this thread, you can open it up. Even if you open the tiny flap door and check if the cable gear moves with a bit of pressure, you can't see the broken teeth and must unplug remove the whole unit. (two small bolts)
See this post from another forum http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=172482

I used this approach to get at the cogs. Broken gear teeth seems to be the main issue. He actually molded new teeth with some tough stuff and shaped them. I luckily had 2 faulty units and was able to salvage two good gears and construct one fully working unit. The smaller gear is spring loaded so remove with care and take note how it is set up before you let the spring pop out. Fiddly bit.

Good luck
Having read this thread, I thought I might add my experience.
My TC icon came on intermittently, and after a few weeks it was on permanently. Then I heard a fluttering sound on every startup and thought I had something stuck in the induction system. I explored and found the Secondary Throttle Cable broken, with some fraying, at the T C actuator gear, but no broken teeth.
Got that fixed and no flutter, no icon, but now, two weeks later, the icon comes on occasionally whilst driving along in good conditions. Looked under the little flap on the actuator and no damage visible - yet.
Just thought you might be interested. Any comment anyone???
GPa is offline   Reply With Quote