View Single Post
Old 6th March 2020, 18:03   #320
Francophile
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Good evening,

I've only just poked my nose into the General Forum and this topic caught my attention. Having recently sold on my sixty-year-old classic, and happily using the twenty-year-old 75 for my admittedly sparse everyday motoring, electric vehicles are not on my horizon. There is, however, one aspect of EV ownership which seems to have eluded my awareness, but may already have been aired in the preceding 40+ pages of this thread. If so, please bear with me.

The thought is prompted by my perfectly serviceable laptop for which I am unable to source a replacement battery at a sensible price. Since it performs adequately on the mains adapter, the only irritation is its loss of portability. It is this question which exercises my mind about the subject of EVs. Has the lifetime/durability of the monster batteries been cited anywhere? I understand that batteries have a finite and relatively limited number of charge/drain/recharge cycles. What is the life of the battery, and has the cost of battery replacement been considered in the running costs for EVs, I wonder. Further, the principal rare elements used for contemporary battery construction seem, at present, to be found in the less salubrious parts of Africa. What does that cost in exploitation, transport and energy? Have those factors been incorporated in the 'benefits' of EVs? It would be very interesting to see such information compiled by someone who knows the data and is not linked to motor industry, or other vested interests. If yes, have the figures been published?

Derek.

Last edited by Francophile; 6th March 2020 at 18:06..
Francophile is offline   Reply With Quote