View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:20   #33
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

I think (and excuse me if I'm wrong) that the most people assess the repair cost in two ways.
  1. If I repair the car will I get the full value of the repair out of it in time/mileage before another big repair bill?
  2. If I repair the car will I get the full value of the repair out of it in time/mileage before some numpty crashes into it and writes it off for less than the value of the repair?
The trouble is that a car with a book value of e.g. £1000 and a failing clutch has the same book value as an identical car with a new clutch.

The clutch on my cdti has lasted over 80k in just under 4 years - so at £1000 for the whole lot (dmf included) was worth it. If the car had had major problems beyond repair in less than two years I would've been out of pocket on the deal. (in that time it's also needed belts, brakes, injectors, and all three fuel pumps on top of normal servicing--- P.S. and a steering rack)

Point 2 is actually irrelevant - no-one ever gets the true value of the vehicle paid out in an insurance write-off - and it's not something you can plan to mitigate really.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 22nd June 2017 at 12:47.. Reason: forgot the steering rack!
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote