View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:40   #32
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
I've been told the same Trev by one garage, and the other reckons I will need a DMF, you just cant trust some of these garage services.

I agree, if only.

Seems I have a dilemma on my hands...
1: Do I go with what my heart is telling me, keep her and get the clutch sorted, she is in great condition after-all, and the belts were done this year.

2: Common sense tells me £900+ is a ridiculous amount for one repair on a vehicle this age. Drive her until the clutch totally fails, could be days, could be weeks, months... who knows.

She is way to good to scrap though, but what is one meant to do? I'm a strong believer in not wasting money, paying for something I feel is worth the money, or the risk (I have my father to blame).
How would getting the job done, be a waste of money?

All cars cost money in repairs, once they have a few years and miles under their belt. A car might only be able to be sold for say £500 and the cost of repair say £600, but who ever bought it would have to invest that money in it anyway - might as well be you. A clutch is just a normal replacement item, like tyres and etc., which all cars need from time to time.

Work out how much you might have paid for new, versus how much the car has cost you over the years. Without doubt, you will be well in debt to the car for the years you have had it.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote