View Single Post
Old 6th January 2020, 22:40   #230
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
Andrew, "TREND" n. meaning 1. general tendency or direction. 2. fashion, mode. Its a bit of handy word and not like "EVIDENCE" which stands to be examined. It may be that the world will end very soon as stated by the believers but I don't think it will because many of them have shown less than acceptable intellectual rigor in their presentations, so I will continue to practice economy and a responsible life style as I have for the last 75 years. The elephant in the room is population control not any of the trendy buzz words which many public figures use to frighten everyone and do they ever think what it is like for children to be continually told they are all doomed, everything is going for a ball of chalk? They and their fellow travellers should hold their heads in shame , but they don't do they- their life styles!!!! those of denial and example? Don't hold your breath- and yes MGJohn 1976 was the hottest barr none. Chris.S.(Knuckledragger 2nd Class)
As you presumably needed to find this definition in a dictionary, you might have done better to find its meaning in relation to plotting a graph of SCIENTIFIC data, ie EVIDENCE, SCIENTIFICALLY recorded by accepted methods, Chris. The summer of '76, I remember well, having foolishly sold my Morris Minor convertible just before the heatwave started, and bought a Triumph Herald saloon, which was like an oven when I set off after work. That summer would be something of an outlier on the SUMMER TEMPERATURE/YEAR graph, as would the winter of 78 - 79 on a SNOWFALL or WINTER TEMPERATURE/YEAR graph, that saw my father digging a tunnel through the snow covering his front door, and neighbours climbing out of upstairs windows to get out of their homes in Cumbria. In London, I was watching cars slithering helplessly in the snow and ice on the Hendon flyover from the Remploy Building near Staples Corner. One point on a graph, taken in isolation, means nothing - you have to look at the trend of all the data/co-ordinates, - ask any real mathematician or scientist. My own observations of 40 winters in this house, is that before around 1985, Christmases without snow outside the door were rare. Since then they have been increasingly frequent, until, over the last 10 years there has been 1, maybe 2. This December, we have only had snow on the fell behind my house below 1,000 feet on 2 mornings, and it didn't last at that level for more than a day.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote