View Single Post
Old 10th January 2021, 22:40   #58
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
Evening Steve. Me again, cap in hand as I am very much at the bottom of the learning curve regards the diesel.

I have undertaken the service items I'm aware of on the latest project.

PCV filter, air filter, fuel filter, oil and filter change, intercooler rings and fan resistor.

I purchased BOSCH service items, but the filter kit didn't appear to be the correct kit when changing.

Quote:
Having read this post, I am happy now that I couldn't fit the small copper washer. My concern is that there was only one large O ring for the filter housing which I changed. I can only recall the existing medium seal being present on the bottom of the filter housing, not the small one.
When finished, I started the car and the oil light went out instantly. Whilst I was initially relieved, I'm now concerned.

Quote:
Do you know what size and type of o ring I need for the bottom of the filter housing, and will it be possible to remove the filter with a full compliment of oil, or will it need draining again?

Thanks in advance for your help again.
Hi Ben.
I don't know the size of hand but can check in the morning for you, i have a few spare so PM your address and i will drop a couple on the post for you FOC, you cannot remove the without making a mess if the oil as not been drained at least by about a litre or two.

If the car is left for a day or so and you remove the cap, you may get a little spillage so cover up the alternator and put some extra rags round the pot, i would not be to concerned though as i have seen the caps with both the lower O-rings missing when i have serviced members & local owners cars, i just added them myself.

Original O-rings are green

99% of the oil filters come with only the large O-ring & a small copper ring which is not for our cars why they add them i don't know

Stick rags around the pot like here below, when you remove the cap oil may leak.

If the filter tries to cone out with the cap hold it down with a flat blade screwdriver so just the cap is removed.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote