View Single Post
Old 27th July 2020, 18:01   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ros3 View Post
Sooo... I am thinking about buying a motorhome.. I have never owned or run one before and am a complete novice.. I have a space that I could park one in, it is 11 feet by 8 feet. I would be wanting one that could take 3 people.

I went and looked at some new ones recently and to be honest some of them were huge and very expensive, for example in the 45 to 60 thousand pound price range. My budget is 20,000 maybe 25,000 at a push..

I would prefer a dedicated motorhome and not just a converted van and would like one that has sleeping above the driver, I think this is called an "over sleeper" but I'm not sure..

Maybe I would be better looking at the secondhand market for the money I have to spend ?.

Any advice or pointers as to what to buy and things to look out for and maybe hidden costs would be great.. I would be buying in a couple of years so no real hurry, I just want as much info as I can get and thought maybe there would be members on here that would know about these things.

Thanks for the help.
I know nothing about them, although I do have a fantasy of having a basic converted van, that I could point somewhere and drive, occasionally stopping for pictures, having a little rest and coffee.

But I did used to work with a guy who was into his caravanning holidays, driving to France annually (from N.Ireland) for 8-12 weeks at a time. I told him once of this fantasy of mine, and asked why he did not use a campervan. He explained he once had one, and he found it too restrictive, particularly in French provincial towns. If he ever wanted to go somewhere, sight seeing, or even for groceries, he would have to pack up, tie everything down to drive somewhere. Which is what I would impart. If you wished to do any kind of sightseeing whilst camping with it, you will have to take your holiday home with you. For what I would want, it would be an ideal vehicle.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote