View Single Post
Old 9th January 2022, 09:43   #7
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I love these ‘never trust a main dealer’ stories.... I wouldn’t like to guess how much as a percentage the factual technical data posted on this site in the early days original came from people actively involved with MG Rover at factory or dealer level when they were still trading but that always seems to be forgotten! We only ever get one side of a story and can never really verify the complete truth. Yes, dealers are more expensive and have nice showrooms but they also have huge outlays including training techs as part of meeting manufacturer standards.
The other side is when an independent has spent 10 hours at considerable cost trying to fix a car by firing the ‘parts Cannon’ at it and then goes to a main dealer and is fixed in a fraction of that time and cost as the dealer tech knows that particular system operation inside out.
We see all the time with 75 and ZT’s being diagnosed incorrectly and the garage or recovery company are slated but we only know so much about these cars as we’ve read on here all the faults and fixes. Any technician can’t know everything about every car but that doesn’t mean they are bad at their job.......

My guess with the Audi, and it is a guess, is that with no codes apparent to give any clue as to where the fault lies a pre set amount of time was allocated and the customer declined anymore diagnostic time at the set labour rate.

In my very limited experience lambda or oxygen sensors either work or don’t and with the use of live data or a scope wide band or narrow band sensors are usually easily checked. I’ve never heard of ‘modifiers’ within data analysis although so I’m guessing he means percentage of fuel trim instead?

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote