View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2018, 16:34   #10
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by philm View Post
You will have a small amount of slack in the longest section of the belt you could twist the belt about 45 degrees.
Good luck.

Is that WILL have or SHOULD have ? i.e - should a properly tensioned belt have 45degrees of twist ?

I'm no further forward today - other than i've been preparing for the "Inevitable" - I'm pretty sure with what i experienced that - timing WAS off causing initial misfires/hunting idle and, whilst chasing faulty coil/plug possibilities and running the engine - Metal on Metal contact WAS heard it's a GREAT sound not....lol

so i'm expecting/preparing for a head off valve replacement

I still plan to check timing before i start pulling her to bits - if i can i'll pick up a 22mm socket over the weekend - funds are that low i can't afford a £7 socket at the minute

I'm not sure what i'll do if the timing lines up

I'm hoping to find timing IS off - in this case i think i would just accept that valves have bent - rather than fit new belt/tensioner and hope for the best - I heard contact and from the way it was last running, i'd guess a few are stuck open.

I think in this case i'd like to have a go at repairing this myself

It may take a week or 2 or 3....lol.... Once i have funds for all the parts i'll need - it adds up ......

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote