View Single Post
Old 1st August 2019, 20:44   #87
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
It is the old lacquer that breaks down, if you look at some 'failed' lights whilst you are out and about, you will see that feathering, and yellowing around the edges of it. Although in saying that, the polycarbonate will, I have no doubt, break down once exposed to the elements and driving in traffic.

When rubbing it down, try to use a flexible pad behind the sanding media, and not use fingers. As you lean into the paper to rub it down, you could rub fine grooves into the surface of the lens/remaining lacquer. Maybe light rubbing down the fresh lacquer with 3200 wet wet and dry, between coats will allow a decent quality build.

Thanks for that, it confirms all that I thought, but always good to get a second opinion.

I did actually buy a kit a few months ago, just to test, but I didn't have much faith in what they supplied as the means of protection of the lens once done. It was some stuff in a small sachet, probably the Rainex type substance you mention.

I have come across out door lighting fittings before, which use polycarbonate lenses - they do all go the same way as our headlights if out in the weather. Their big selling point, was their near indestructability.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote