Thread: MOT Advisories
View Single Post
Old 16th September 2018, 21:36   #19
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Many MOT advisories can be taken with a pinch of salt. I’ve had some on my cars which were contradictory to each other.

As for the MOT test in its current form I would scrap it altogether.
By that I mean take it away from garages and place it in an independant location like HGVs are and also the MOT in Northern Ireland.

My V6 received a fail on its first test after I purchased it stating it required new discs. The car had done 36k. I fitted new discs to get the pass then immediately removed them and fitted them to my 75 diesel as it had done at that time around 105k if I recall correctly.
That was about six years ago and only recently did I remove the “failed” discs and fitted new discs to the car as I thought the originals were getting a bit worn.

On my Jaguar XF I received a fail at 43k stating it required new rear upper arms at a cost of £760. I had no option but to give the rogue dealer the go ahead but a few weeks later I re fitted the original parts and got a pass at another test station. The car was due to be tested one year later when it was written off.

So two examples of where the MOT test failed me unneccasarily and I have to say the only two fails I have received since the MOT test began.

As for the OP I would say the tester in question may have been a bit over zealous but I agree most 75’s of this age will be very rusty in the suspension areas.
Of the three I’ve owned I’ve had to completely overhaul the suspension on all three, it’s just what you have to do to keep an otherwise perfectly good car in tip top condition.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote