View Single Post
Old 16th September 2018, 20:20   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Michael,

I think that these three comments in particular suggest that this tester is being somewhat pedantic. He might have been hoping to obtain some repairs business from the owner or had a row with his wife that morning or is just keen to convince you how ‘experienced’ he is.

What you should do is organise your own inspection to put these claims to the test whether it be from someone else in the trade, a friend or just do it yourself!

Always remember that this list does not constitute faults which need to be rectified as so many people seem to believe. They are observations which the tester wishes to bring to your attention. They are somewhat subjective. It is extremely likely that if you submitted this car for a test tomorrow at a different establishment, the list of advisories would be much shorter.

Bad news sells newspapers, and it’s easy to make a dramatic case. Keep a cool head is my advice and don’t rely on one tester’s opinion.

Simon
Simon, earlier in the year when I presented one of the fleet for MOT, I had an advisory for a discoloured side repeater lamp, and it was amazing when I fitted a nice new orange bulb, that it flashed orange once again rather than the pasty off white

Fuel tank straps, well a full tank of diesel including the weight of the tank and fuel pump and associated hardware is just shy of 65 kg, and not taking into account the free surface affect of the fuel moving within the tank as the car is driven..........I recall a post by CLF where Alan had replaced the tank cradle straps on his car, and simply folded up the original such was the extent of the corrosion.

This of course was a car which had been MOT tested within a system where there is absolutely no incentive whatsoever to "create" work for the tester

Distorted wheel rim, I would be quite happy to be notified of such a defect, especially when it is the inner bead of a wheel that has been damaged and looking at the car from the outside all appears to be perfect.

Bad news sells newspapers??? perhaps just for once Simon, you might wish to step back and ask yourself why you are so critical of anyone with any connection to the motor trade?

As far as it appears to any outsider looking in, you are the perfect judge of your car, and no one else could possibly know better than you.

So when I checked out the advisory items issued to my own car last week, I found what the tester to have noted to be quite fair, and not pedantic, but rather sound advice and a valuable second opinion to my own pre MOT checks.

What would you prefer I wonder, an MOT carried out where the tester overlooks obvious defects, or a one where a perfectly valid assessment of a vehicle condition is reported to the owner, who can then make arrangements to repair at their discretion.

In the case of the OP's question, I would not buy the car he is asking about, but that is only my opinion, no more or less.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote