View Single Post
Old 15th August 2018, 16:12   #9
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bell View Post
Thanks guys - yes, I was wondering about intercooler function - but as the turbo did boost and the problem was more off-boost lethargy, unless the thing is partially blocked (or blockage else where in the inlet tract), I don't think that this can be it.

I do think that the MAF is the likely (and usual) culprit. I'll make a note of the MAF figures - I don't know what they should be. Live data provides both measured MAF and "requested" MAF. I'll see whether I can get these numbers and post it here both at idle, and on load.

Shame I didn't have my diagnostic kit on holiday - I suspect that the problem would be much more obvious in live data when the running problem was so evident!
High altitude air is less dense, and so is hot air as well so probably a double whammy when the engine was running normally aspirated, the fuelling was probably adjusted to compensate and so the loss of power.

When the turbo comes into effect then this obviously allows more air to be compressed and so this would reduce the effect of "thin" air - the intercooler, cools the air down to increase its density but likely that with very hot ambient temperatures then there may not be enough of a temperature differential to be able to cool the air down enough.

The fact that everything has returned to normal back at sea-level and normal temperatures would suggest nothing to worry about.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote