View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2019, 12:59   #32
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
"Yes i thought about it, but i was scarred by the memory of messing up the floor pan of my 1974 Hillman Imp back in the 80’s, and decided against it.

That brings back memories of welding sills on the wife's Hillman Imp several decades ago with an arc welder. At least the perforations the welding made let the water out (as well as in). MIG welding seems much more controllable and you can see what you are doing with the self darkening face mask. After some practice I managed to make a weld that didn't look too much like mouse droppings.
In my case the drivers seat mounting had a crack around its bolt down location in the floor so the seat tended to creak and tilt backwards when on the move. I assumed at the time that welding would be just the same as soldering only with a welding rod instead of solder. A few arcs later with my trusty arc welder and I went from a cracked seat mount to no seat mount. I learned my limitations with that one and never got the determination to try again. Although you did tempt me to look at MIG welders.......briefly
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote