Old 19th January 2019, 15:11   #76
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
Hi Phil.
I used to run tubeless tyres inflated with Nitrogen in SWA and long overland trips and carry spare tubes. I sill have a 4x4 12v compressor and heavy-duty tyre repair kit to repair punctures at the side of the road. Plus a bottle of meths to pop the tyre back on.

I never used the backup inner tube.

That is quite a choice of typically African vehicles though.
Thank you Craig and Wes, I recently had a puncture caused by an M6 100mm visiting someone else's house. We use tubeless but I have heard, some drivers add on a tube or carry one as a spare, like yourself. I brought out a 12v compressor from the UK, made by the RAC but it was useless - not made for 4x4, so had to do it the hard way. The tyre fitter said he had to do a heat weld to repair the puncture as the hole was too big.

Thank you Craig and Wes for your special insights. I have not seen Nitrogen here, but we are 3rd world.

p.s I forgot to ask, do you have a favourite brand of 4x4 tyre? I have B F Goodrich on at the moment and they still have plenty of tread. Its always interesting to hear about the reliability and safety of other brands, tried and tested.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 19th January 2019 at 15:33.. Reason: p.s added
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote