View Single Post
Old 20th October 2019, 10:24   #2
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I've just got back from a break in Corfu (almost literally!). Austerity seems to have hit them very hard, with most publicly owned roads and buildings looking very tired. Potholes on potholes, tarmac roads repaired with concrete just dumped in the holes and run over, leaving massive ruts etc. Many of the traffic lights were broken or obscured by overgrown trees as were roadsigns. My hire car had 96k on it and was covered in dinks and scratches but ran very well. It was an absolute pleasure to get back into the Rover yesterday and enjoy driving once more.

Our coach to the airport was late on arrival, having replaced the actual coach, which had been involved in an accident with a young motorcyclist (who sadly lost his life RIP) seemingly on his phone, no crash helmet or protection worn.

A sad end to a lovely holiday.
I only went to Corfu once, that was in 1994. It was my first time abroad,I went with 3 other mates, whose idea of holiday, was lie on the beach all day and drink all night. The roads were rough back then, the taxi from the airport to the resort was “interesting”, the driver drove like a bat out of hell. There were loads of youngsters driving around on scooters without protection then too, sounds like nothing much has changed.