View Single Post
Old 6th June 2019, 14:36   #19
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Could the fuel tank air inlet be blocked?

Do you hear the hiss of air entering if the fuel cap is released immediately after it stops?

The fuel pickup in the tanks usually have a very flexible pipe with a weighted end, so that gravity helps keep the pickup under the fuel. Might this not be working as it should - pipe too long or stiffened up with age?

It has had a new fuel pipe put on Harry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Just some more info.

There are two adjustments to be made,1)the high speed running and 2) the low speed running. They have to be balanced with each other otherwise you will get the symptoms you are experiencing.

Then you can set the "Tick over" adjustment when the previous adjustments have been made
John, I have no idea how to do this, I need someone who is confident with stripping down a 2 stroke carb. The bloke who was supposed to have sorted the t initially, cleaned the carb, the jets were cleaned out, put fresh petrol in a new fuel line was installed as the original had gone hard and cracked. He also set the mixture according to a manual on two strokes. When I returned the machine to him the day I collected it, and said it was no different after trying to cut one hedge.This took me about half an hour due to the fact the machine kept cutting out. He said it may get have sucked some dirt through, but if he couldn’t sort it, he would give it to a mate who was a 2 stroke expert.
Now the background on the machine, I ran it at 50/1 fuel/oil mix, since it was new, drained the fuel every autumn, the machine was never a problem for the first 3 years of ownership, then last autumn it was difficult to start. Prior to that, it would start first time. When it did eventually start, it would run for a while, then this problem would arise, and it went on every time I used it after that.As the hedges started to grow again this year, I put the machine in for repair.