View Single Post
Old 29th May 2021, 06:57   #33
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuriken_57 View Post
I think I have a leak ... I’m afraid it’s the water pump ( it was replaced 6 months ago but I had seen traces of dried coolant under the place where the water pump is mounted).
Clean off the traces of coolant residue Brahim and see if they recur in the same place. If the 'V' has seen coolant in the past it can escape through a gap between the water pump and right hand bank. This produces droplets on the oil filter and gives the mistaken impression of a leaking pump gasket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuriken_57 View Post
In fact, I smell coolant when I get out of the vehicle (hot engine).
Now it's just a matter of finding it! After stopping the hot engine, raise the car, remove the engine undertray and spend some time looking with a powerful torch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
i hope it was a new pump fitted because they nearly always leak when they have been disturbed whilst fitting a new cambelt.
I'm not sure what you mean Stefan. The KV6 water pump doesn't need to be disturbed.
The reason that people replace the pump is because to do so in future would involve repeating the cambelt renewal exercise. Unfortunately this can backfire as some aftermarket pumps have subsequently leaked. Possible reasons for this are poor quality parts and/or careless installation.

Simon