Thread: Ticking noise
View Single Post
Old 11th November 2019, 20:31   #72
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes indeed it's quite a story huh. He said that after filling them with the special grease they weren't making any noises at all when spinning them, but I still think that it's not the way to properly do it and it's still not the same as when the pulleys are spinning at much higher speeds and with the tension of the belt on them. Anyways. I have the new aux tensioner and idler pulleys. Is it a complicated task to replace them? The only things I've done by myself engine related is replacing the intake manifold, thermostat and spark plugs, I'm saying this just so that one could evaluate my level of experience and say if I'm prepared to do these pulleys by myself without getting into trouble... I am thinking that since it's only the aux pulleys, the special timing tools won't be necessary here, are they? And also, if anyone could point out to me some key things to take care of when doing this task I'd really be grateful.

Also, I'll also have to replace the crank pulley by myself too, turns out my mechanic couldn't wait for that too, this was a really shameful job he did, the least I could say I am thinking, and this is more guessing by the way, that I would have to release the tension put on the belt by the main belt tensioner, unscrew the crank pulley, replace it and then put everything back together, although, if the crankshaft needs to be locked with the special tools or if it's not as straightforward as I guess I'd better leave it to a more serious mechanic willing to do the job for me, I really don't want to mess with the timing tools if I don't really know what I'm doing.

Last edited by Rsnail; 11th November 2019 at 20:38..
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote