View Single Post
Old 19th June 2018, 07:51   #8
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
This is vital evidence, thank you. It definitely points to a strong possibility that it’s a valve stem oil seal. What happens is that oil slowly seeps past the seal into the combustion chamber and is then burnt when the engine is started, producing the instantaneous blue cloud which you have seen. I experienced this years ago with a Mini which had been fitted with a poorly modified cylinder head.

Simon
The A series engines is a number of generations before the K engines were even thought about, materials and engineering have evolved so much over this time, therefore the A cannot be compared. To date I have never came across a Kseries or KV6 with damaged valve stem seals, and hence I believe unlikely in this case. The only reasons I have came across burning oil on the K engines is either broken/damaged/worn piston rings or liners, including gummed up piston rings due to neglect with fuels/oils or sometime overheated due to coolant leaks.

If the OP eliminates the well known breather issues on the KV6, and still has issues they should proceed with a leakdown or compression test, failing this a teardown of the top end will reveal all usually.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote