Thread: New Project
View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:37   #10
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletevl View Post
Do the liners drop because of heat or because of the hammering effect ?

I was told that the head suffers after overheating which causes the liners to hammer up and down and that the block itself doesn't really suffer from the heat.

Pete.
Good question Pete. I with limited knowledge understand that when a K-Series severely overheats, the integrity of the Cylinder Block and Head material is compromised and sometimes badly weakened. Cue loosening of liner locations and Fire Ring indents in Cylinder Head particularly the area close to Exhaust Valves.

I suspect one or both can play a part here depending on severity of excess heat. Only needs a slight weakening and enlargement of the Liner Location and that enables one or both the above scenarios.

The basically very similar MG6 1.8T engine ( Chinese version of Rover's K-Series ) I have been informed by someone when they worked for the Chinese operation at Longbridge, that the Chinese use a FORCED not GRAVITY fed casting process for those major engine components, the Cylinder Block and Cylinder Head. This must result in a stronger structure. When fitting the MG6 engine to one of my MG ZT-T 1.8Ts, there were a range of improvements clear to be seen. At the time the real improvement was unseen. That of the superior casting process.

There is a possibility of all my work being a waste of time. I will do it to the best of my caring ability with the benefit of not having a profit or time gun held to my head as is all too often the case in the pro-environment repair shop. By being thorough and taking my time ( no pressure to have car ready for journey to work tomorrow ) a competent repair should be the end result.

If after all that, it does not work out, no real harm done. It's mainly a learning experience for me which I enjoy.

By the way there is more than one example of MG6s with high mileages ( 200,000 mile plus ) one a Taxi, never needing much engine work at all, just regular servicing. Few Rover K-Series 1.8s can claim that. My 1.8 ZS bought new in 2003 now with 100,000 miles on it still no CHG issues... fingers crossed. I did catch a totally worn out Water Pump which if not spotted, would lead to cylinder head gasket DAMAGE on my MG ZS, which far too many confuse with failure both within the trade ( often conveniently for them ) and car consumer circles.

Sunny now so out with the tools soon. More progress today. Some updates later today may follow if of interest.
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote