Thread: Microwave.
View Single Post
Old 8th February 2015, 13:03   #14
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatedan View Post
Normally this is just a high voltage diode, the magnatrons don't pack up. If you are opening the back this will not break any seals as these are on the door. Use a mulitmeater and check to see if open circuit. You will see it, its a dirty great big diode. Don't run the microwave with the back removed. P.s you can get replacement s on flee bay but make sure it is rated for microwave use as the voltages are a lot higher than normal.
Its a Magnatron, developed by the British during the war for high frequency high resolution 10cm radar for night fighters.

The stored DC in there can be 2 to 4Kv, which is absolutely lethal. The caps are fitted with a discharge system, to allow the HV to safely leak away, but commonly these safety devices do fail. So I would never suggest the inexperienced delve into microwave ovens. Is it ever worth risking your life, for the £50 cost of replacing them, when you don't have much of a clue?

Me, personally I do, but then I am well aware of the risks and the precautions to take. Our present oven failed last year, so I dived in armed with a means of making sure the HV cap was fully discharged before starting to get too involved. As it happened, the fuse for the HV transformer had popped. Ten minutes later it was fixed from my fuse stock and at no cost. That was a £150 oven and well worth my effort to at least take a look.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 8th February 2015 at 13:08..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote