View Single Post
Old 12th January 2012, 18:57   #119
matthewsemple
Regular poster

MG ZT 135+

Cool Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SCO View Post
Hi there, I noticed that everybody gets hung up on the style of the Rover logo, but it is the MG logo imho that is wrong. The original MG Rover logo had an MG logo that was full colour, like on the pylons, golden, with red lettering and border. The "replica" ones discussed here are all see-through, the yellow of the plates (or white for that matter) is coming through.

Even more so, I am wondering, the only reason for me to want MG Rover Group plates (and I would) is to bring my car somehow back to its origins, as it had orignally been registered by MGR for about a year. But then using private plates, cherished plates or whatever, N reg'd 75's which have only been introduced as S models, that kind of makes the pretend-original MGR logo look like a fake from the outset, or not?
No that is not correct. Since 1990, buyers of new cars have been able to buy any registration available from the DVLA at the time of purchase and have it applied to their new car. And from a much earlier date, car buyers will have had the option of transferring cherished plates to their brand new cars. Any decent dealer will have made the plate with your chosen registration, if requested. SMG Rover in Slough were very helpful in doing this when my father bought his Rover 75.

So brand new Rover 75s (or in my case an MG ZT) wearing an N-registration (or any other registration of a year earlier than that of manufacture) will always have been possible. I didn't do this because I bought the car second-hand but my car was also originally registered by MG Rover. Furthermore, if MG Rover were still in business we could all be buying replacement plates directly from them - so 'pretend-original' and 'fake' is a little unfair.

You may be right about the MG logo, though. I think I raised this way back in this thread and was reassured the see-through logo was correct. However, life is too short and they look considerably better than the plates that the car came with, which I had to change anyway when I transferred the cherished plate from our old car.