View Single Post
Old 9th September 2019, 08:02   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
We did the same, the problem was we could not find everything we wanted so we ended up going to Sainsburys to finish off. We tried a couple of times but gave up.

We don't buy any meat from the supermarkets, we always buy meat from a butchers and we have a couple that always look after there regular customers. I also get to choose the meat cut I want not what the supermarket decides to put in a tray. A butcher will also vacuum pack it if you ask so it lasts longer. I also can buy the amount of sausages I want not a pack of 8 and a couple go to waste.
Therein lieth the problem for us, there are no local butchers, bakers or greengrocers in our village at all now, they have all closed over the years due to either retirement, or the convenience of the supermarket. We have no choice but to go to S/bury,Asda,Morrison or Tesco. Even the surrounding villages have none of the above, the nearest place we can get loose produce is the Grainger Market in Newcastle itself, which is about 8 miles away, and parking is not convenient, unless you use on street meters in the city centre, or the multi storeys which cost a fortune. So hat you save by buying direct form the independent produce retailer, you lose in fuel and parking costs.Th only advantage is, you buy the exact amount you want, and it lasts longer.