Thread: Chrysler 300C
View Single Post
Old 8th February 2018, 09:47   #14
Mikejaytee
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourers x 2.

The 300C is a brilliant car, both to drive and to look at. I ran a 5.7 Hemi Tourer for several years, and loved every minute of ownership. More power and torque than you could ever need, always immediately on tap.....it just made you laugh every time you pressed the throttle. The Hemi is also relatively economical to run, due to the engine design that shuts down four cylinders when cruising using electronically controlled solenoids in the valve train; thus it cruises as a four cylinder, with the other four kicking in once needed. I easily achieved 26 to 27 mpg in general use, which is pretty good considering the engine size and performance.

I only sold the car when I retired, as I couldn't justify the £550 or so road tax on a car I was using very much less than when I was working. Otherwise I would certainly have kept it.

My only criticisms would be the interior...a bit too 'plasticky', and the 'estate' function limited by a narrow load space as compared to other more useful estate cars. As a driving car though, it was fantastic...and incredible value for money given the performance.

Now I have 2 75 Tourers, both 1.8s; one NA and one Turbo. I love these cars too, and they are very much under appreciated and undervalued. They are practical, economical, enjoyably comfortable, refined, and ridiculously great value for money if you can resolve the issues we are all familiar with. ( And they are easily remedied in practice ). The Turbo in particular is actually a real drivers car that really will 'go'if you want it to. They also have more of a 'classic; feel than most other cars, and this is part of what makes them attractive to me. They offer a lot of pleasure and refinement for little real outlay.

But if you fancy a 300C you won't be disappointed...especially if you go for a Hemi. In practice the Hemi is pretty much as economical as the V6, and I believe that both the V6 and the Diesel versionjs cost the same to tax, so you might as well have the fun of the Hemi version. Still incredible value for money if you can find a good one.......

Best regards,

Mike.
Mikejaytee is offline   Reply With Quote