View Single Post
Old 6th June 2020, 11:10   #77
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

This is an update to the coolant leak problem. I decided that as a last resort that I would remove the heads. It is a massive job and made even more difficult without assistance which was not readily available in these times. If I had to do it again, which I hope not, I would't do it without assistance being available. For instance, such assistance is useful because it it much easier to remove the heads without removing the exhaust manifolds and then replacing the heads with the exhaust manifolds fitted because access to the manifolds is so limited.

Upon removal of the cam covers I discovered a thick layer of emulsified oil i.e. mayonnaise! There had obviously been a head gasket leak for some considerable time, as I thought. Just goes to show that you cannot trust those chemical testers. Upon examination of the head gaskets there was no evidence of an obvious defect but when I did this job seven years ago I did not use genuine gaskets on the rebuild so there is a lesson there.

I therefore had both heads pressure tested for leaks, no cracks found, and both heads lightly skimmed. The engine was carefully rebuilt with genuine MG Rover gaskets and I found the head gaskets did not have the word "top" on them which I had not come across before, however worked out which was the correct way round.

It fought me all the way but eventually got it all fitted back together. It started immediately but rattled presumably because there was a lack of oil in the tappets but it is now running nicely. Had to top the coolant up once after it had cooled down and have now covered about 130miles with no leak!

I hope that this is now the end of this long running saga and perhaps Kaiser who said I must be mad to take the heads off will reconsider what he said!

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote