View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2020, 15:40   #74
Fred Byrne
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I think this is due to the tensioner taking over the responsibility for keeping the belt taut. I bet it is the rear bank that is slightly out. What you could try is bring the crank to the safe position and put the timing tools on the bank that is correct. Then slacken the bolt on the other bank's camwheel and see if you can reset that camshaft with the other timing tool. Then re-tighten the bolt. Do you have to replace the bolt with a new one? I think probably yes.The theory is that if it is due to the timing belt settling in, the camwheel will rotate slightly to accomodate the very small change in belt tension. If it won't reset it will probably be due to the fact that the camwheel is as far anti-clockwise that the keyway will allow it to move. I had this when I put my new timing belt on and decided to ignore it. However, there is no doubt that the timing on one bank is correct and the other is out by about a degree or two. That's my theory but someone more experienced and more knowledgable will have a different view. Coming back to your coolant leak.
I have been chasing a similar leak for about a week.
I found two leaks one at the elbow on the off-side top of the radiator. This was only present when I ran the engine and the pressure built up. It was cured with a new 3mm thick 'O' ring. I was then left with a leak of 100ml per 24 hours. It is generally accepted that one drop is one tenth of a ml. So I had a leak of 40 drops per hour or one drop every 2 minutes. I realised that this is tiny and the drop may well dry up before it falls or seep along some joint and evaporate. I examined every hose joint that could have been disturbed when I was working on the engine. I found that one of the clips on the oil cooler was damp underneath the clip. This was the culprit. It was undetectable until I slackened the clip just enough to see underneath the clip itself. So it appears the coolant evaporated before it became visible . That has been my recent experience and it was so frustrating and time consuming because you had to wait so long between each check on the coolant level. So I do hope that when you get around to the coolant problem again that you will be able to solve it with some similar simple remedt.

Fred
Fred Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote