View Single Post
Old 19th August 2018, 19:43   #8446
jordimussol
Avid contributor

2005 MG ZT & 1996 MGF

Well.. been enjoying summer and not been too active on the site, but today got myself down to the garage, sweating like a paedo in a nursery, and replaced the last engine mount I had to swap over. The gearbox one.

The old one:

The old one doesn't seem that worn and was hoping it'd come out in bits, but it didn't. Since I had the new one and took the trouble to get to it, I did replace it with the new one and moved on.

It's a rather straightforward job to do, not difficult however I didn't find a 'how to remove/replace engine gearbox mount'

It's as simple as:

-Remove engine undertray (you'll need to jack the gearbox)

-Remove battery and battery tray/box
-Remove air intake tube section to make some room

-Release diesel fuel filter and get it out of the way (no need to disconnect).
-Release ECU (at least I think it was) out of the way so you can get under and easy access to the screws of the mount.

The tricky part was to remove the gearbox plate first and then the mount as you need the access to get to the screws of the mount. You then fit the new one in, and then the gearbox mounting plate. With the jack you need to lift the gearbox in order to fit the screws too.

And job done!

An annoying vibration has gone now so I believe that had made the trick. I had replaced all other engine mounts and this was the last one. I suppose all other three were more solid and the weak one was now this one.

I did buy the mount off Oscaro, which is some sort of EuroCarparts in Spain. I did get the Hutchinson branded one which is also available on eBay. UK suppliers were quite more expensive. I got this one for 102eu and free postage.
jordimussol is offline   Reply With Quote