View Single Post
Old 5th December 2019, 20:25   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
So I picked the Toyota Avensis up last Friday from its service, mot and front airbag recall. All seemed well, and I took it and brimmed the tank as I was running low on fuel. The gauge flew up to full as it should, but I have been using the car all week and it hasn't moved even 1mm from slightly over full reading. I think I am in trouble!

Anyone got any ideas? When I kill the ignition it drops, so its not stuck, and the range on the trip comp is dropping as it should, so there is a signal somewhere.

I have a horrid feeling it will mean a new pump module as everything always seems to be one piece these days, and that will be an large expense I can't sort due to being laid off from next Friday. Hoping there is something daft I have overlooked I can try....its 57 reg, but only got 43k on it, so not had a hard life.
You will know your car and how the needle should operate normally. Has it used enough fuel for it to move yet? I am assuming the airbag replacement had no effect on the electronics. I would suggest phone the dealer to tell them, but also tell them you will give a few more days to be sure, then return it. If it doesnt move, tell them that it was working correctly before they worked on the car. No suggestions from them that it could not be related to the recall. They will have had to do something in the area of the binnacle at least, along with electronic work, so they cannot suggest there is no relationship with their work.

All of my Toyotas (4, but all pre 1988 lol) when filled up would take forever to move, one I recall would be around 120 miles from slightly above the full line until a needle's width below. It was capable of reasonable mpg though. Back then you could fill it until it came up to the neck lol. The needle would move quite quickly after, down to halfway with another 150 miles or so, dropping to the light at about 100-120 or so.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote