View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:29   #2
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Default Tailgate strut pin DIY repair

Depending on the amount of tearing damage to the gutter metal where the ball is fixed, and whether you are a DIY person, you may be able to repair it yourself using a support plate. This has been done by a forum member showing both methods of repair- this plate method or a welding repair.

I managed to do my N/S one last year with the support plate, and then put another support plate in place on the offside as well before that side had had the same failure. I used stainless steel penny washers 38mm diameter grinding opposite edges to form an oval shape that slotted into the gutter channel. I used the pin's base mounting, inside the channel, and used the washer to sandwich the torn body tightening up the plate to the pin base plate with the damaged body in the middle. Using stainless washers and screws, there was no need to paint the repair, and it keeps it all clean and tidy.

Both are still in place and the tailgate is opened and closed very often with no sign of any repeat of the problem.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote