Thread: Black Diesel??
View Single Post
Old 6th April 2012, 20:35   #28
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclefista View Post
I said "up to" and if you think there's no one driving around in an older LPG powered car that's down on power compared to petrol, I beg to differ.

I wasn't saying every LPG powered car is 20% down on power, I was saying that they can be, and it's a minor inconvenience compared to the savings.
I used to work as a mechanic years ago on a fleet of vans running LPG, and in those days of carbs, LPG was a black art and not one of the sixty odd vans and cars ran as well on LPG as they did on petrol but the savings were worth it. Especially as the company I worked for had their own gas filling station
1972 Morris Marina TC ? , if the stoichiometric mix is correct, then there is no difference whatsoever in the performance of LPG over petrol.
The misconception that LPG leads to poorer performance, is usually backed up by a poorly set up system.
Oh and in regards to my 40 year old car, I still feel every one of the 95 horse power too
There are however dire warnings circulated via service bulletins by MG Rover, concerning the incorrect use of biofuels, kerosene etc, in the M47R and the effects therein upon the high pressure pump.
You pay your money, and takes your chance, however I wouldn't personally advise the use of anything else other than white diesel from the pump.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote