View Single Post
Old 19th January 2012, 07:23   #23
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Hi Phil,
While lenses are expensive they do stay with you. When I bought my Bigma there were very basic camera bodies available for decent money, at the time I was shooting on a Canon 350D I bought for £200. The lens cost me just shy of £1200 but I still have it. I have since upgraded my camera several times but the lenses I still have.

The current DSLR market is saturated with cameras which have that many features it pretty much takes all the control away from the user and I personally don't like that. Understanding aperture to control DoF, to create the look and effect you're after takes skill. Built in software now does all that for you.

Before you choose on a brand look at the lenses available as this is the most costly factor. Main reason people opt for the big two brands is due to the availability and cost of lenses, plenty of used lenses crop up on ebay for Nikon & Canon which keeps used prices low.
Sony are now a big player and are producing some great cameras.
Don't overlook Olympus as their E-series cameras produce some stunning results straight off camera, and due to the 4/3rds system being a 2.0x crop sensor a 300mm lens gives the 35mm equivilent field of view as a 600mm lens. I thought long and hard about this before I bought as I shoot a lot of birds and wildlife.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote