View Single Post
Old 16th January 2012, 15:22   #31
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I have occasionally felt that as well./ I don't know if it is particularly from 3rd to 4th, but it is as if there is a momentary lack of power.
I think it has to do with the traction control somehow, which cuts engine power in certain conditions. I wrote to a company, which is inolved in the control. I will see if I can find the e-mail:

I wrote to them because my traction control light would come on for no good reason, and the my speed control would not function.
Before you all start writing, I think I have found the reason for that. I put two new front tyres on, original spec I think 225/50 and I have two rear tyres 235/45 (from memory!) the running circumference is big enough for the ABS sensors to register different speeds for the individual tyres. Normally that would be the precursor for a skid, and that would register on the traction control. I think that is the reason, as my incidents have become less frequent with time (as the front tyres are wearing a bit, I think)

Anyway here is the one e-mail: I have removed the name and the costs, and I hope this will be used in good spirit!

Hi Mr Kaiser,

To be frank this is going to be just about impossible to diagnose but I'll give it a go...

First some background: the xxxxxx unit constantly reads wheel speeds and at the point that wheel spin is occurring it feeds the information, including how much spin is happening and therefore how much power needs to be reduced, into the car's CAN system via an SCP gateway. The car's processing then takes the info and calls for a reduction in torque which is achieved via timing retardation.

So this version of our after-market traction control product is a bit different, and integrates with the car's systems that had nothing to do with us... Rover wanted it this way because they didn't like the idea of our box controlling the injectors, which is the way the unit normally works.

So the problem could lie in any number of places: you might have an ABS sensor going faulty; there could be a issue with the xxxxx control module; or it could be the car's ECU.

The only possible solution that I can come up with is to sell you a new control module to see if this fixes the issue but I must say I think it's very unlikely: they're incredibly reliable.

Let me know what you'd like to do.

Last edited by kaiser; 16th January 2012 at 16:21..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote