View Single Post
Old 28th July 2011, 21:48   #126
gerry3
Passed Away

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Are we now back at the begining and saying do not use these modificated ones until we are sure i would have thought that the welded one which can still move in all directions and still retain the 3mm gap is basically like having a new compensator fitted for the first time always or is my thinking wrong
retaining the 3mm gap and can still swivel

Note there is still a gap between the bar head and the swivel plate,full movement in all directions.

Still hoping someone as a pic of the fixing plate over the compensator showing how many screws after the carpet as been peeled back or removed, as i am thinking of trying to remove it with out taking console out or the back seat,
Hi Arctic,
There should be no problem with the bracket the way you have welded it.
Do not place too much into my saying that something else could go and that it was designed to give way.The designer probably did not even think of it.
Judging by some of the other parts on cars they were designed to a price rather than how good it was, so long as it out lasted the warranty.
Just £1 saved on every car would give the manufacture thousands more profit.
If its any consolation I would fit a modified one on my car without a second thought about it.

So to all who have read this thread and would like to have the mod. done, take up Harry's offer, send him your old one and for just the cost of the postage you can be sure that you should not have to do the job again, perhaps adjust the brake shoes but that is easier than having to strip the hand brake down.
gerry3 is offline   Reply With Quote