Thread: Camera help!
View Single Post
Old 24th July 2007, 18:33   #27
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontie View Post
Hi,
Like you, I have a preference for interchangable lenses, but, I had a look at the Panasonic Lumix a week or so ago and I was amazed !! 8mps and a stunning 12 times Optical zoom, this is a SLR without the weight and fuss of changing lenses. Have a serious look at it!!: At a very reasonable price, £200ish

Regards
John
Whilst it is not a DSLR, the FZ30 I bought for £300 (now superceded by the FZ50 which a friend recently bought and is as equally pleased as I am) is as good as an SLR for an amateur. With the 12x optical zoom and the lens by Leica, this is a cheap enough camera for me to be able to take good quality pictures. I don't have to worry about carrying extra lens as at 12x it's unnecessary. And if it is shoved in my computer bag I don't worry too much as it isn't expensive by DSLR standards.

It has all the SLR features, even feels like one to hold, with complete control over ISO, shutter speed and F-stop, and auto mode if I am feeling lazy. The 2Gb SD card has plenty of space unless you want raw format files. I know the FZ30 was slated for noise on the limit and may not be to the standard of the professional cameras, but for an amateur like me that travels a lot and wanted some manual control, with a decent lens and a reasonably compact body, I think it is well worth it as Jontie suggests.

I believe that Panasonic have also brought out a DSLR now.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote