View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:33   #10
Miff
Avid contributor

2002 2.5 Connoisseur SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman View Post
I posted the info below on another thread may be useful to you.

Some more notes - the 7 way relay includes a buzzer that sounds when the trailer lamp is working, so you know when it's not!

The second socket is for charging caravan battery & reverse lights.

Cutting the rear bumper is trivial, took me less than 60 seconds with a jig saw & you can't see the cuts once refitted. The whole fitment took me half a day mostly removing trim & wiring.

---

I’ve just finished wiring a tow bar on a tourer using a universal kit with a twin socket.

For single rear-lights-only setup you will need the socket & a 7 way relay that ‘repeats’ the light cluster signals without upsetting the can-bus system. The 7 ways can come with integral sounder / monitor for failed trailer lamps, which is a legal requirement now.

For twin setups you also need a split charge relay. These simplify installation as they only need one main 12v feed and detect engine running (though change of voltage) and switch the socket outputs, preventing a flat battery. You can share the 12v feed for with the 7 way relay. This feed should be suitably rated & fused.

I tapped the 12v feed from the fusebox tow bar socket using a big spade connector. The 7 way is connected by crimp connectors just behind the left hand light cluster (one wire run from the right hand indicator) you need to remove the fluffy side trim to access them.

This whole set up including tow bar cost me about £140 all new items. Hope this helps!
Where is the "12v feed from the fusebox tow bar socket"? Thanks.
Miff is offline   Reply With Quote