View Single Post
Old 10th August 2010, 05:10   #20
Woodgoat
Passed Away

MG ZT

Default Hi!, I'm New Here

I live in a little town called Paarl at the outskirts of Cape Town. My office is in the city.
I just did a 1 000 kilometer round trip to Knysna and Wilderness this weekend and I am solidly smitten. We have a 330D as well and although the MG cannot compare with the BMW in many (most) areas, it does seem to sweep the floor with it in so many other areas. Despite the BM's massive torque, the MG's the better long distance car. It's as if nothing can unsettle it. Effortless and perfectly planted.
I've read so much criticism about the 1,8 turbo engine on this forum. Well, I haven't had this car long enough to be a expert on it, but I know that I would't swop it for a more powerful engine. I will never like the engine sound below 3 000 rpm, but apart from that it has amazing torque. Acceleration from second and third gear leaves many (more powerful) cars behind.
Sadly these cars are almost non existant on our roads. If you're lucky you might see a Rover 75 every six weeks or so. ZT's are even more scarse. The result of that is expensive and a scarsity of spare parts and poor service prospects.
A local guy quoted me almost twenty thousand rand to fix a shuddering clutch. I discovered a coolant leak from the inside of the bellhousing and after closer inspection, saw that it was coming from the left corner of the inlet manifold, running down the side of the engine and into the clutch area. I replaced the thirty eight rand gasket on the inlet manifold and lost the shudder from the clutch - and the water leak.
I would like to hear from owners in Cape Town.
Woodgoat is offline   Reply With Quote