View Single Post
Old 7th June 2009, 19:09   #9
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I am having a funny five minutes and to be honest this is probably a pipedream but I would like to know others views on doing something that 12 months ago I would have not even considered.

I am thinking about taking a year out and driving around the coast of England, Wales and Scotland. I am wondering about buying a motorhome and selling it when we return. We have worked out the costings and it would be affordable for us so there are no worries there. We are thinking of doing it because neither of us are getting any younger and its something we have always wanted to do. This would be a big step and we know all the pitfalls like living in a confined space, parking the van and servicing/breakdowns etc. Its around 10500 miles and along the coast road for about 95% of the way. On average its about 30 miles a day but we would probably drive for 100 miles and stay for two or three days in one spot. We have hired a van quite a few times and enjoyed it but the longest we have done that is three weeks and this would be for around a year or possibly even longer if we decided we were enjoying it. I know this is something that is done quite often by some people and they go to Europe and Asia but we are an ordinary stay at home couple without the adventurous side that some have so we have decided the uk is better for us and could if needed get home quickly. We are thinking of doing it starting July next year which will give us time to get things sorted at home and will mean we start and end in the summer. We would be in Scotland for the winter which is what we are aiming for and would have a base up there to take the winter months out if we wanted or needed to because of the weather.

Well am I daft, should I be certified? As I said this is probably a pipe dream and I being me will find a thousand reasons not to do it but at the moment and for the past few months it seems to make sense

Have anyone else on here done it and enjoyed it, ended up divorced or hated it?

I am very interested in others opinions I have asked on motor caravan forums and getting the usual 'yes go for it' type of replies but I would also be interested of getting the views of people I know and trust so what better forum to ask on :lol:

I know I will get some replies taking the mick but I am also interested in serious replies as well

Thanks for any help you can give me. This is not a mid life crisis as mid life was 20 years ago

Ken :lol:
hi ken. just go and do it. like me, i do not want to be on my "deathbed", horrible word, but comes to us all, and think:"****** hell, i wish i had done that, and that and that.
you never know what is round the corner, so get on and do it, you wont regret it i'm sure.
good luck.