View Single Post
Old 31st March 2009, 17:12   #5
workaholic_ro
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I'm gathering parts ready for doing this job . I also have the Sealey locking tools so envisage going the approved route using them. My queries relate to the camshaft sprockets on the front end ;
1. If i undo the sprocket bolts , the advice is not to reuse them . Do people reuse them , or are they really stretched after one use ? I ordered what I thought was a set of 4 ( for the back end ) at just below £4 , and in fact it turned out to be £4 just for one That will be nearly £24 for all 6 bolts needed . They are not even gold plated !
Seems that they are gold made and blacken to hide this! Judging by their size and the tightening torque I think that they can only be used a hundred times and no more I didn't change mine.
Quote:
2. I am still a little puzzled by the fixing arrangement on the front sprockets . I understand that they are not locked to the camshaft , and allow a little rotation to perfectly tension the belt . This being so , how can the locking tool accurately locate the camshaft , unless the separate sprocket hubs do locate in the end of the shaft and the sproket can move on the hub? Is this the case ?
The hub is locked to the camshafts and obviously to the rear sprockets which are keyed. When using the front setting tool you'll notice that the rear pulleys are aligned. Having the engine aligned and also the camshafts, the "free" front pulleys allow an even tension distribution along the belt. They lock when tightening them. And here is a recommendation that puzzled me a bit: "25Nm and 90 degrees further". Not very sure about this but I think that they are cone mounted, that 25Nm is the value which guarantees that the cone is sitting in the right position and 90 degrees more gives the right expansion of the cone to have enough friction for keeping the pulleys locked. This would justify somehow the recommendation for using new bolts, for the sake of precision and not because they are worn.
Quote:
3. At the moment I am contemplating using the locking tools without unbolting the sprockets (at the front end ) and reusing the bolts at the rear sprockets. I would value informed comment on this from those who know , so I am better prepared for the job .
I have studied all the posts I can find on this , but haven't found answers to these questions , but I bet someone out there will know
Actually there is no need for a front setting tool, an ordinary ruler will tell when the camshafts are aligned, I used a home made tool (a long one) to keep them in position while tightening the bolts, without removing the rubber caps.
There are two possible approaches to this operation: "use a tool kit and follow the instructions" or "understand how it works and take it on your own". In lack of a kit I had no choice. I think that combining them would be best.

Edit: forgot to say "GOOD LUCK!", and I think we should open a club I wonder, how many members had done it by themselves. (professional mechanics don't count of course)

Two pics to give you strength and confidence

Cheers,

Fidel

Last edited by workaholic_ro; 31st March 2009 at 17:34..
workaholic_ro is offline   Reply With Quote