View Single Post
Old 14th May 2024, 15:50   #30
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8458 View Post
Just a thought, but as you already have a replacement rear door/tailgate.
Would you be able to fit the tailgate to confirm it closes properly and there are no undue gaps. If it does fit properly then it is unlikely that there is any panel damage.
As I say, just a thought, but would also strengthen your position for a second opinion.
I've been contemplating this myself, didn't want to waste my time but I think it'll help prove one thing or another, weather is good tomorrow so I'm going to have a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_75 View Post
I'm struggling to understand the assessor's rationale for making it a Cat B write off instead of Cat S. Is it because some repair panels are not available brand new and therefore a satisfactory repair (to the insurers standard) isn't possible?

Essentially that's it, he said they would only quote for new parts on a no fault claim. The bumper would need to be painted all adding to the cost, and allegedly the rear panel is now obsolete so I assume it would have to be fabricated hence the cost, at a quoted labour rate of £80 per hour!
I spoke to a mechanic who's now a welder last week and he explained the process of removing all the spot welds etc and then refitting, so I understand it's not straight forward. What's annoying me the most is the assumption it is bent without anyone looking at it properly.
[/COLOR]

If you can push them to make it a Cat S, you could buy the car back from the insurer and repair it.

My Dad had a similar situation a year or two ago and was offered a derisory figure for his car. With some haggling and providing evidence of other similar cars (age, mileage, spec) for sale, he was able to agree a better valuation, although he still wasn't 100% happy with it.

What a huge pain in the backside, you have my sympathy. I fear this sort of thing happening to one of our cars, sentimental value doesn't factor into the insurers equation unfortunately.
I work colleague of mine reckons the government have an agenda to get rid of old vehicles off the road asap, and are pushing insurance companies to get stuff written off, to supposedly help top the emissions targets by getting rid of the old 'dirty' stuff.

Ironically if it had been our other car, the 1.9CDTi Zafira, that was damaged with it's dodgy gearbox, oil leaks and knackered air con, I think it would already be in the breakers for £1450.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote