View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2024, 11:31   #10
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Mac, thanks for coming back to me. Based on the further detail you've given I can shed some more light on this.

It's important to bear in mind that if my theory is correct, the indications on your gauge will not necessarily be accurate and so should not be relied upon.

Directly below that T-Cut has added "EDIT 7 October 2019" in which he says: "I think the instructions for Section 6 are wrong" and explains the true interpretation. As I've pointed out, it is impossible for the IPK to give separate capacities for the left and right sections of the tank so the initial 6.0 explanation is definitely wrong!

The readings you've given in post no. 4 are consistent with those my car shows.
  • Test 6.0 shows the total fuel volume, 0570 being 57.0 litres.
  • Test 6.1 is not functional on the 75/ZT.
  • Test 6.2 is untrustworthy since it would be extremely complicated for the IPK to detect a faulty tank sender as they are wired in series.

Mac; my suggestion is that you fill your tank to the brim, determined using the cut-out on the pump. Reset your trip mileometer to zero. Drive your car, monitoring the gauge needle for abnormal movement until it indicates nearly empty. Refill the tank to the brim as before, noting the quantity of diesel purchased and the mileage covered. Calculate the mpg and observe whether the figure is valid. That should tell you whether or not you have a fault. If you do, it will most likely be rheostat wear as discovered by the member already mentioned. You have said that you refill with about the same quantity when the gauge reaches 1/4 which supports a worn rheostat since the wiper will always be traversing the same section. In that event, the reliable solution is replacement.

Simon
Thank you Simon, you have given me very helpful information here and will certainly carry out the brim to brim test to check mileage, also the information on the functioning of test 6.0 sheds a new light on things. At the moment the tank is brimmed and the gauge is at the max setting to the top, when the ignition is in position 2, dropping to zero or empty when off, the diagnostic indicates 57 litres not far off 65 litres which is the max, so will report back when I have the results,it may be a while, thanks again.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote