View Single Post
Old 13th October 2023, 11:41   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
Just updating on initial success with stopping the leak on the saloon rear window - left side pins. I did things badly - but it still worked

It has rained very heavily for a couple of days and no rain water is in the upper sections of the rear wing and D pillar.

I had recently cleaned out the mud from the gully (that is covered by a chrome strip) that is all around the rear window.

Cleaning out the gully previously allowed me to as a lazy way to stop the leak through I a number of attempts of using clear waxoyl. Clear waxoyl is very different indeed to black waxoyl. When heated by hot water, clear waxoyl is very much a lighter liquid and I poured it into the gully.

The next day I used cold clear waxoyl which had a texture like soft butter and spread it with a small wall paper scrapper to totally fill the gully with clear waxoyl.

Then after a couple/few days it went wrong as the clear waxoyl was too thick in the gully and it warmed up into a liquid, pressured up like a coke can and threw itself, (loads of it) out of the gully, but after a few inches cooled down and solidified again down the body of the car.

But the way waxoyl never actually dries but continually moves to fill gaps seems to have eventually worked. There were many leaks which slowed by day after day as waxoyl sealed more and more leaks in that area around the saloon rear windscreen

A solved leak is a result, no matter how you look at it

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote