View Single Post
Old 10th December 2021, 19:59   #33
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
I do agree that we shouldn't be scrapping cars just to make way for EV's however for as long as I can remember cars have been scrapped and new ones made to replace them.....it's just that now the new ones will have batteries rather then petrol tanks.

I'm curious as to which EV's you've had extensive experience with to form this strong opinion?

The technology is far from primitive, indeed it's now very mature. Just remember that the first cars were electric and that there have been electric cars in one form or another for over a century now. Unlike internal combustion which is now at it's zenith and unlikely to improve EV's will get better however they are already extremely advanced and very usable. Also interesting that you mention fire when in fact EV's are 10 times LESS likely to catch fire then an ICE car. I've had mine for a year and a half and not once has it spontaneously combusted, but maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones?
If an electric car does it for you then go with it, in my opinion people are falling over themselves to go electric with little understanding of the full facts, the worry is what exactly is the point of a battery on wheels, the whole thing is reminiscent of the technological advantage the Americans had in Vietnam, they still lost the war, ironically they actually knew they were going to lose 10 years before! Electric cars are an expensive experiment at the moment.

Look, if the planet is to be saved, then Man needs to seriously have a long conversation with himself, electric car is not the answer, but if you can give me an affordable, reliable, etc etc electric car to replace my current 75, then I may consider it, but spending 30K plus on what is an experiment, in order to follow the crowd, is not going to happen.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote