Thread: Wheel Bolts
View Single Post
Old 29th March 2020, 09:14   #22
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren 24 View Post
Now for some advice please, when I put the wheels back on would it be a good idea to put some coppergrease on the bolts.
Yes, and here's the reason why.

Twenty five years ago I had to renew the lower front suspension arm on my SD1. At that time I lubricated its bolt threads, probably using grease since water repellent properties are more important in this application than the heat resistance of Copper Ease. I tightened them to the torque specified in the workshop manual and coated the heads and nuts with Waxoyl to protect against corrosion.

Last month the same arm needed renewal due to play in the integral balljoint. Despite the use of grease, none of the bolts had fallen out or loosened. Appropriate effort was needed to turn them but I used nothing more than normal hand tools. None of the heads rounded and no threads were damaged in the extraction process. All the original nuts and bolts were refitted with the new suspension arm.

That proves to my satisfaction that not only will greasing threads pose no problem but it is actually positively beneficial. I am sharing this long term experience with those who have ears for pragmatic rather than theoretical reasoning.

Simon