View Single Post
Old 9th March 2020, 21:55   #7
Tam
Posted a thing or two

05 ZT+, 04 ZT+, 64 P6 2.0, 74 P6 V8s, 75 P6 V8, 92 214Si, 04 25 Td, 02 Defend , 05 ZR 105+ x2

I've been through this exact scenario! Crashed my Land Rover only to find out the MOT had ran out 2 weeks before. Police (traffic cops) had no idea if it invalidated the insurance so held of charging me till they could clarify. In meantime I phoned insurance company and informed them that MOT had elapsed at time of accident. I tried asking them if it would invalidate insurance and again they weren't sure but not overly interested.
2 days later got the phone call from police stating that MOT didn't affect insurance and no charges would be forthcoming for driving without insurance!!
So in my experience no one really knows but after a bit of digging it would seem that driving a vehicle with expired MOT DOESN'T AFFECT YOUR INSURANCE.
The insurance company paid out a considerable £9000 for vehicle plus damage to other vehicle, I was rightly charged with careless driving and fined £100 for no MOT.
This is my experience and I have heard of insurance policy clauses that require an MOT but legally it seems this doesn't count. Also the Land Rover had no defects at the time.