View Single Post
Old 24th January 2020, 20:12   #10
drjonts
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160

Roger,

I have been a Uniroyal groupie for 30 years now (I remember the Rallye 180 and the 280 Rain Tyres we used to put on our Sunbeam Alpine Series 5 that had their little brolly on the sidewall...then 240, 380, 550, 580, RainExperts and now RainSports) and I will always look to see what they have available and what they are developing.

Currently both the ZT-T and my Peugeot 406 are on Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and although their life is shorter than other makes of comparable cost, I find the confidence they give me about contact with the road (in the dry and especially the wet) is well worth the need to replace them more often and they are a good price.

Like Brian I have a set of alloys for the 406 with winters fitted (Nokian - a bit more tricky to find from suppliers but they have a good reputation for performance) but have yet to see a chilly enough spell this year to pop them on the car. Nice to know they are there ready if I need them.

I have a spare set of Hairpins for the ZT-T which I am going to try and either do up myself or get them stripped, blasted and coated by a local firm (as they will do a better job hopefully!) and have a set of NFera SU1 Nexens to put on as spares or sell on if I have to. They are 'A' rated wet grip (like the Uniroyals) and I did use them on the front of the ZT-T previously - they seemed to be pretty competent but I always put faith in Uniroyals.

I say perhaps consider higher load rating if going with Uniroyal for a ZT or 75 as the sidewall is really pliable and I tend to run them at a few psi higher than other stiffer tyres to try and reduce the edge wear I tend to see.

Just my thoughts.

Jonty

The old Rallye 280 - an 80's retro moment!

Last edited by drjonts; 24th January 2020 at 21:13..
drjonts is offline   Reply With Quote