Thread: New Project
View Single Post
Old 14th January 2020, 10:54   #36
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford man View Post
Hi. When Redmans did my pistons I asked the guy if it mattered which way round the piston was fitted to the conrod. He confirmed that they only go on one way or only work correctly one way.

Regards John
That's why I was careful to ensure I noted the correct orientation of the Con-Rd Piston Interface AND their relationship to the CRANKshaft. There is an arrow on the top of the new ones much the same as the old. Those arrows point towards the Timing/Front end of the Engine when fitted. Not all K-Series engines are transversely located.

From memory some pistons I've worked on have different sized Cut Outs for the Inlet and Exhaust Valve clearances. Again from memory, they appear the same with these K-Series Pistons I'm currently working on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
The MG6 engine uses branded products such as liner and pistons. Usually under the Federal Mogul brand family. Eg, AE for pistons and liners a well known name for years, although they are all manufactured in China today they are still engineered to exacting standards.

Have you compared the piston ring land areas of the old to new, be interesting to establish a measurement?
I cannot do that now as the new Pistons are on their way to Lancashire. Here is a picture of one of the new ones. As previously posted, I could not see any differences between old and new.... visually.

.... and it is STILL raining and cooler than last week. I'm off to pray towards the Weather Gods..
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote