View Single Post
Old 9th June 2019, 06:07   #10
daveb57
Loves to post

Mercedes Benz E 350 Coupe Peugeot 407 SW 1.9 HDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
If it did do that wouldn't there be an awful lot of cars broken down....
Isn't fuel made to some sort of "standard" quality?
Years back, when my dad was alive, he used to drive for Fina (a name from the past that the younger generation will probably not have heard of), at a small depot in Kingsnorth, near Hoo in Kent.

They used to draw fuel at the BP refinery on the Isle of Grain. Along with Fina, from what I recall dad said, all major brands drew their fuel from there. Recall hearing stories from neighbours talking to him, stating that the 'old Prefect or Consul would only run on Shell, where another's Cresta would only run on BP. You don't hear that conversation theses days!!!

Bringing this up to date, the same conversation would now be Mr Green's Nissan Leaf runs better on SSE electric, where as next door, Mr Jones gets a better charge and range on Eon power!!!

I have near enough always used supermarket fuel in the ZT, although it is petrol, and have used their diesel in the E350. That said, when chatting to them about fuels, the independent Mercedes garage that services it did say that there are less additives in supermarket fuel than in premium brands like Esso etc. Never personally had a problem though.

As a footnote, with regards to diesel and fuel prices, there used to be a 1 / 2p difference, but now up to 10p or more in some cases.

Greedy wholesalers / retailers I suppose robbing the motorist once again!!!

Regards,

Dave.

Last edited by daveb57; 9th June 2019 at 06:10..
daveb57 is offline   Reply With Quote