Thread: Mystery??
View Single Post
Old 1st June 2019, 23:22   #14
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulkhead View Post
Thanks for the further advice about the LSM. I really don’t know what it is or what I am looking for. If the lights coming on was due to a fault with this LSM would it not occur again, it seems to me the only thing different to how I usually leave the car is the key was in the ignition. As yet the problem has not reappeared, and all electrics are working as they should. Do you really think that I should take all the front off? What would I then be looking for. I am disturbed to hear of instances of fire, is this likely to happen? His many 75’s have had this happen. Should I lay the car up or even get it taken for scrap? Clearly don’t want to risk a fire. Taking the car to the mainland is not a realistic option for all sorts of reasons, but do the experts really think that I am in danger using this car, which has run well for the last two days, with no issue. I welcome further thoughts. Thanks
Hi Roy,

The LSM is the Light Switch Module. It is right behind the headlight switch knob. Just keep an eye on it to be sure your lights are all off when you park the car. Also, have a look at the headlight switch after dark sometimes to see if the switch itself is not illuminated. If nothing ever happens again don't worry about it, but monitor it.

The talk about removing the front bumper was to do with the headlight wiring harness rubbing on the top unprotected seam of the front "frame" rail (chassis). It is hard to to access that spot and removing the bumper makes that easier. You may be able to root around to see if the harness looks OK or looks damaged there. BUT, to be honest, if your headlights both work reliably you probably don't have a problem there.

I expect there would be some pretty obvious signs before anything got to the point of catching fire. If you watch the things I mentioned and your headlights work, drive on.

That is what I would do. Others may not agree, but that's what I would do anyway.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote