View Single Post
Old 16th May 2019, 13:38   #43
Split or Bust
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

IMHO indicators are on the wrong side of the steering column on a RHD vehicle.

When I learned to drive back in the early 80’s the indicators were on the right hand side of the steering wheel and it was possible to indicate (or cancel) and change gear at the same time but in modern cars you can’t do that if you’re in a RHD car….but you can if you’re in a LHD car…mmm wonder why that is...

I suspect indicators were swopped over to the left from a production cost economy point of view first by European manufacturers and then some time later by the Japanese.

How many times do you see someone pull off a roundabout with the right turn indicator still going! Or not using them at all cos’ they’ve not thought ahead sufficiently and are too busy changing gear.

A friend of mine uses his indicators even when parking in a totally deserted car park….why? Because he’s on auto-pilot and uses his indicators when changing direction regardless of the circumstances. Does that make him a safer driver?

I don’t indicate all the time but that’s not because I’m not aware of my surroundings but actually because I AM aware of my surroundings, probably more so because I also learnt to ride a motorbike and learnt the life saving over the shoulder check.

An example, if I’m in a dedicated left turn lane and the only way I can go is left then I do not need to indicate as my position on the road is indication enough.

How many times do you see people driving down the road with their indicators still flashing cos they’ve not cancelled them! Because they’ve “used” them does that make them a safer driver and more aware of what’s around them?

I was taught to look around and take in the whole picture and act accordingly. Yes there may be people that I’ve not seen and that’s part of the judgement call. If in doubt indicate but indicating just for the sake of it actually suggests you are not aware of your surroundings.

Just because you don’t indicate all the time does not make you an unsafe driver just as those that indicate all the time are not necessarily safer drivers.
Split or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote